Sunday, November 23, 2008

Autumn in New York


not like the movie where the girl dies in the end - just the season. We went for a walk to enjoy the fall colors. Here is Isaac- notice his new coat- amongst the foliage. It didn't last for long and the weather has turned cold quickly. Okay it's not anything like Minnesota or Chicago, but remember we don't have a car so we have to walk to get most things. For example we ran some errands on Saturday. We took the train down to 50th street and worked our way back up, stopping at the stores we needed. They were spaced in a way that we couldn't really take a bus or subway between them, so we ended up walking about 2 miles in 35 degree weather, carrying all of our Christmas presents. Sometimes I really miss my car.
We ended the day in a happy way. Some friends of ours rigged away so that we could watch the Utah vs BYU game in their lounge in their apartment building. It was fun to watch because unlike a normal Saturday where I watch Isaac watch the football game, I got to watch Isaac watch a football game with free pizza provided by the party hosts. Overall I fell it was a success (oh and Utah won which helped Isaac's mood).
It was a good way to end the week considering I had Parent/Teacher conferences this week. I always learning interesting tid bits about my students from these sessions. For example- one student stole the money his mother left out to pay the electricity bill to buy a video game. Obviously not smart on two levels- first the stealing, second how is he going to play when the electricity gets turned off? The other steller meeting was with some parents who wanted to call the police on their daughter who was failing all her classes . . . you can figure that one out on your own.

1 comment:

Who Knew . . . said...

Sounds like there are some real gems and bits of wisdom found at parent/teacher conference. You have your work cut out for you!