Sunday, January 18, 2009

I'm already a bad mother . . .

That's right. If you didn't already know/guess from my "I'm going into early retirement" comments, I'm pregnant. The baby should be here by July 30th. I recently shared the news at work because the school is getting ready to start looking for teachers for next year, and I needed to let my boss down easy that she would have to find a new math teacher. While everyone seems genuinely excited, my colleagues have been the most excited - it's interesting to see the reactions outside the Mormon faith. It's a bit overwhelming. Two teachers almost started crying (something I've yet to do) and the one male teacher I work closely with was so excited he blurted out, in his English accent, "How exciting, I want to get someone pregnant!" I was carrying three textbooks down the hall and had a group of teachers freak out that I shouldn't be handling heavy material in my condition . . . three textbooks really? My first clue that maybe I was a bad mother. My second one was a bit more obvious.
I was at cheerleading practice teaching stunts. I have a co-coach that knows I am pregnant, but I've yet to tell the children. (I'm waiting for the eventual comment of- "you look pregnant" then I can freak out about how you shouldn't ever say that to a woman and then see how long it takes them to figure out that I am- a lesson in life observations). Anyway, a 90lb girl was at the top of the pyramid and she fell. I stepped in to help catch her using proper cheerleading techniques. She fell back on another girl, as she was supposed to, and I helped with her shoulders and head. She ended up whacking me in the face and my glasses went flying off my face. She hit them in a way that a lens popped out and the frame cracked. As soon as I made sure she was alright, I ran to the rescue of my glasses. Sure enough they were broken and I was devastated. I love these glasses. I where them almost everyday to school. Where else would I find rhinestone glasses? These are the thoughts that went through my head.
What was the other coach thinking? She's pregnant, they are going to kill the baby! She shouldn't be doing this! I need to get the other girls to help. Sure enough she called over other girls to help- I couldn't figure out why. It wasn't until later when she was recounting the story to other teachers along with her concerns about the safety of my baby, that I realized that , oh, maybe I could hurt the baby doing this . . .
Good thing I have six for months to figure out to be a good mother . . .any tips?
PS I glued the glasses back together.

8 comments:

Kiley said...

That's great, Kari! I'm so excited for you. How is Isaac feeling about it? Have you been sick at all? I can't wait to hear more!

Brittany said...

congrats lady! i'm sure you'll be a great mother...like you said, you have six months to learn how to be one. though i think you're probably already there.

Aleighy said...

YEAH! You will be a great mother! Congrats on the life changing event...you will never be the same (in a good way).

Anonymous said...

you'll be fine once the kids goes into high school then you can just act like it's teacher, let Issac have the first 15 years though. mamalamaa

Angela said...

I am so excited you finally announced it! Is it weird to say you are pregnant? It is weird for me to read it. Love ya, and I think you will be a good mawm.

Suzy said...

So happy! You will be awesome, of course. No worries about carrying textbooks and such. Just wait to you get all big and then you won't to carry 3 textbooks. Hope you're feeling good!

Unknown said...

Yay Kari & Isaac! We heard the news from LJ. By the way, I was loving the DI gift exchange. I say we make it family wide next year!! Miss you.

Margo said...

I have thought seriously about your concern. Here is my advice: load ten pounds of sand into ziploc bags and use duct tape to wrap them around your waist. Then, you will not forget you are pregnant, and incase you do, you will not be agile enough to cause yourself any blunt trauma to your little one. Let me know how it goes.