A few weeks ago we switched Carter to a big boy bed since he could climb out of [and into] his crib [aka pack'n'play because we are ghetto parents]. I wasn't worried about him climbing out of it since I'd watched him do it several times and it looked safe enough. It was the climbing in that inspired the change. Carter would climb onto the arm rest of his carseat that sat next to the bed, then jump up so that his top half would be above the rim, tip over to an L shape with his head down and legs straight out. He then sat there for a moment, then flipped over into a summer salt type dismount. It often involved landing on his head. I just knew one of these times he'd kink his neck really bad, so it was time.
Carter loves his big boy bed, however, it makes him want to come visit us in the middle of the night . . . we have to bring him back to his bed and he'll stay there but only if we repeat our bedtime routine which requires a readying of Hero of the Rails (a very long Thomas the Tank Engine Book - even when it's abridged).
PS I'm writing this post at 6AM because I've been up with Carter since 5 and got bored of watching Thomas the Tank Engine videos on youtube.
2 comments:
I like the cardboard box, my poor little grandkid. My children always had beds. Granny S
I don't know if this qualifies us as "ghetto" parents, but when we moved Claire to her big girl bed, we put a child proof lock on the door so she couldn't get out. Now that we've taken it off, she still yells for me to come get her out of bed in the morning. Granted she yells out in the night for things, but she never gets out of her bed. Not sure if that would work, but it may be worth a try.
Post a Comment